Thursday, October 16, 2008

Some more october flyfishing

Wednesday night: another hour or so left for fishing before dark. Once I got down to the river, I waded to the place I was fishing last Sunday. After just a few casts I got the first hit: a rainbow that managed to unhook itself right at my feet. No problem, I was looking for something bigger anyway. I made my line longer to reach the current all the way on the other side. As the fly was floating downstream I noticed a pinch on the line, so I set the hook right away. It was another rainbow, a 13 incher that put up a good fight. The first trout to jump out of the water during the drill.





Another ten minutes an the real hit shakes my rod: salmon alert! I got it in the net after 2 attempts, every time it turned its back on me an ran away as I was trying to stick it in. A good way to remember I got sand in the braking mechanism of my old plastic reel. After that, same story: a few pictures and back in the water.















This is the streamer I've used, actually I don't even know if I should name it a streamer or a wet fly. I don't think it has a name, it's a pattern I've tied after getting inspired at a fly tying session at W. S. Hunter in Concord. That's where I buy 99% of my fly tying materials. In this case 100%. Hook: Daichii 1710 #8; body: ice dubbing (peacock); ribbing and head: red wire; hackle: mallard; tail: glo bugs yarn, color flame. I caught more trout than salmon with it, but my last 3 salmons took it, so I assume it's pretty efficient for salmon, too.
See you next time!

No comments: