Thursday, October 9, 2008

Pittsburg again ( part 2)

continued from yesterday's post....

I got to Junction Pool, and surprise: NOBODY! Then I realize that everybody that was fishing at Doc's Pool must have been passed by Junction Pool at some point during the day. It was 2: 30 pm already and my expectations dropped dramatically.
I tried the road side first and I had a strike at the second cast. it was something pretty big but I lost it after 3-4 seconds. then nothing for 5 minutes, although I moved along the pool.
Then I crossed the river because another fisherman came on my side. I started to fish the seam, where the main current from Connecticut river meets the Perry Stream. I was fishing the inside side of the current line, and my nymphs were taking advantage of the still water do sink quickly straight to the bottom. The bottom in the point is made of gravel so there is little chance to get the hooks stuck between rocks.
I could feel the flies scratching the bottom. And only a few casts later, it just got stuck. I set the hook and the dance began. After the first few seconds on the bottom the fish emerged and broke the surface: salmon. Diana was not there, she went to get the car and I didn't dare to take the time to pull my camera out of the case. Only after I secured the fish I managed to take a few pictures.
She came back after less than a half an hour. In that time I've caught 3 salmons and a fat brookie, and also hooked another salmon that escaped in the drill.




















But she came back with her camera just in time for the cherry on top of the cake: the best drill of the day, that fish jumped 7-8 times out of the water, most of the time at least 2 feet high.









I got it 3 times next to the net but every time gathered more strength to take another run. And another jump




Finally I managed to net it. Best moment of the day, on the best pool of the day.








I released it quick, to make sure it has some more energy to recover. It didn't wait a second, from the moment it touched the water it was gone. Real fighter!
I was getting cold and tired. That drill got me tired too, not only the fish. So i finished with another rainbow, released without netting. I only spent another 10 minutes on the bridge pool, without any strikes. I called it done for the day and we took off. We had almost 3 hours of driving ahead.


Next week-end is the last week-end of the season but I am working. So probably I will only fish on the Pemi, in Franklin from now on. The fall salmon should be there there is no closed season on that river.