Monday, October 6, 2008

Pittsburg again!

All last week I tied flies, checked weather forecast and flow rates and, of course, drove my wife crazy because I wasn't talking about anything else. But Saturday around 2 pm we were ready for the last fishing trip of the season: Pittsburg. From what I've heard, at this time of the year the fishing is at its best up there.
On the way we just couldn't resist stopping a few times in Franconia Notch to take some picture of the foliage and also the first snow of the season in New Hampshire, on Mount Lafayette. I assume Mount Washington should have some snow too, but it's not visible from that point.






Another stop north of Colebrook, for a few pictures at Beaver Brook Falls.





By the time we got at the State Park on Lake Frances it was getting dark. There were some guys coming out of the water and I asked one of them if he got lucky. He said he only caught 2 fish, small ones. And he tried everything, from dries to nymphs and streamers. Anyway, I had a few minutes to give it a try that night, but I haven't seen any fish. So we set up the tent and probably for the first time in years, I fell asleep before 10 pm.





My alarm was set for 6:05 but ten minutes earlier I was up and ready for the big day. The temperature was probably in the 30's so I packed a pair of pants under the neoprene wader and 2 polartec fleeces for the top. I knew I have to act quickly, before the other people get to the river and the place gets crowded.
And I was right: I took advantage of maybe an hour alone on a couple of pools. The fish were not very eager to fill my net but I managed to catch a few. I especially liked the male rainbow that was ready to fight and ready to spawn. Fully colored. But I also caught 3 tiny salmons, probably my smallest ever.





















Soon the area got packed. At least 7 people fishing two pools. So I turned to the pocked water below the dam and I didn't get disappointed. The fish weren't too big but they were there. I managed to hook a couple of small browns, too, not only rainbows and brookies.
Overall it was a good morning, although the fish seemed fewer and maybe smaller than last time I 've fished the river.










At 11 I went to pick up Diana from the camp, thinking to fish the lower part of the stretch too. Short lunch and we headed to Skating Rink. Last time it was an awesome pool, I've caught at least 10 fish from the same spot. This time it seemed almost dead. Of course it was already noon and probably ten people have already annoyed the fish enough. I was actually surprised that nobody was there. I tried a few combination, e.g . streamer with BH nymph but I didn't like it. The fish were hugging the bottom and not willing to come to the surface. I think the cold time wasn't stimulating them too much either.
Anyway, I went back to heavy nymphing and finally I managed to hook a fish. Right on the bottom. Nice brookie. Followed by a couple of rainbows and few more strikes with no fish landed.

Then I tried "my secret place" (kind of funny, I fished that river only twice and I already had a secret place). It is a spot that doesn't promise too much, but gave me the biggest salmon last time. They were there, waiting for me: first cast got me the brown of the day. It ran straight into the current and downstream so I had to follow. After the photo session, I got back on the spot, same story, another brown... and a brookie... and a rainbow. AWESOME! I got really excited.



















We decided to hike up towards the Junction Pool and try the small pool in between. I soon discovered that strong current is not my ally but the fish's ally. But I got some more fish on the way. I got the same impression: the fish were right on the bottom and they were not coming up. I had to take my nymphs down to them.












Doc Pools was so crowded I didn't even stop to fish it. I headed to the Junction Pool. But for the rest of the story you will have to check back tomorrow, cos this post starts to get huge. See you!