Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Salmon night

Last night, by miracle I got out of work in time and I had all my gear packed in the car. Like this I saved around 20 minutes and I managed to make it at the river around 5 o'clock. So I got a little over 1 hr of fishing.
Of course, as I was reaching the river the alarm at the dam went off, sign that they gonna release more water. I didn't worry, although I was fishing right below the dam, I knew the water level in the lake above was pretty low, the raise couldn't be huge. And I was right, the water barely raised with a couple of inches after a half an hour.
I was fishing one of the streamers I used Sunday morning, the one that brought me the most fish, all rainbows. It's made from ice dubbing, malard feather and a bright red tail.
Right after the water started to raise the first salmons demonstrated their presence with a few splashes. I got a couple of fish chasing my streamer, I was able to see the flashes in the water as they were changing direction.
Then a direct hit: whirlpool at the surface a couple of seconds after the fly touched the water. I set the hook: let the fight begin!!!!!







4 jumps later it starts to get tired and I finally get some line back on the reel. But the net spooks it, so it takes off again. Not for long this time. I take a few more pictures and he's free again. With all my respect.






I go back to casting and a couple of minutes later I see another fish chasing the fly for a couple of feet before attacking in a splash of water. This one seemed stronger and didn't jump at all, it just kept shaking its head and spinning around me.




But it was well hooked and I managed to net it to make sure I can get a few pictures.







Awesome fish, bigger than the first one, very strong, fat and healthy. As soon as I put it back to water, it splashed me with its tail and disappeared.





It was getting dark and I decided it was enough for the day. But not without promising myself that I'll be back! I know there are more fish there craving for my streamers.

2 comments:

Dragos Bora said...

Ce "Post a comment"... ... ... Ce sa mai zici... ... ... Bravo, dom'le! Frumos de tot!

sebastian said...

mersi!:D mai vin niste poze cat de curand...