Sunday, June 14, 2009

Just another trip to Pittsburg



Quick trip to Pittsburg this weekend. I wanted to go there at this time of the year, hoping in some dries action. No luck, it rained all morning and I've seen no raises at all. Of course, the dry flies stayed in their box and the nymphs got the job.
I couldn't pass by Back Lake as the sun was setting on Saturday, without taking a few pictures. The colors were just amazing.


I got up early in the morning and headed to the river. The flow was at 150 cfs, and this created an odd situation. Perry stream was pretty swollen and bellow the junction pool the water was high, but upstream from there, it was shallow. Fish were a little harder to find, but they were present. Natural colors ruled today, I only caught a few fish on pink or orange as most of them went for olive, cream or peacock.




I caught a ton of fall fish, some of them of considerable size. They are in the river to spawn, hopefully they won't stay too long.




Also some kind of red fin shiners were up in the river, probable for the same reason.



Early in the morning I caught mainly rainbows, but the brookies took over before lunch. Nice strong, hard fighting ones.

















Overall was a good day, with plenty of fish. The rain was the only downside. I've learned that every visit at Pittsburg requires a different approach and flexibility is the way to go.
The lakes are full, both No 1 and Francis, so if it continues to rain I would expect the flow to increase over the next week.



And a short stop on the way back, for another picture with Beaver Brook waterfall.....








No comments: