Tuesday, May 5, 2009

More silver!

The salmon is in the river but a little difficult to find, because of the water that still hangs on pretty high. And with all the rain this week it's just gonna get higher. However, I was able catch a couple, tagged this time. I'm actually wondering why Fish and Game tags the fish, since it's a C&R area only.
The first one was a little jumper, put up a good fight and didn't stay still once landed.








Then another fall fish, they got pretty numerous in the area, I think they thrive in a big river like Pemi. I know they can get pretty big, a couple years ago I caught two 17+ inchers in Winnipesaukee River and Silver Lake. They are very close to european chub, except their mouth is closer to a bottom feeder. I caught them on anything here, from dry flies to streamers, crankbaits and spinners.

The second salmon of the night was bigger and stronger. I was able to hear my reel screaming a few times before getting the fish in front of the camera.









I ended the night on Webster Lake, exerscising my casting and tricking a few tiny smalmouth bass with my wet flies.

No comments: