Wednesday, April 15, 2009

SPRING FLY FISHING

The flurries we had on Sunday were only to remind us that winter is not far gone yet in NH. April 13 was the day of ice out on Lake Winnipesaukee and everybody knows that best landlocked salmon fishing in the spring occurs immediately after ice-out.



I was able to leave work just in time to catch a couple of hours of fishing before sunset. I knew a place where the day before I saw somebody hooking on a good size salmon, and I took the chance. I even dragged Diana with me hoping to see my face in some of the fishing pictures I post on my blog.


As I was getting into the water, the guy that fished the spot for the past three hours was coming out with one salmon, caught on live bait, I think. He said he tried some traditional streamer patterns, with no luck. I started with a flashy BH caddis and an a lighter but still BH olive emerger on top of it. The water was ranging from 3 to maybe 10 feet and it was getting deeper as the current advanced into the lake.
Action started faster than I expected. Maybe less than one minute after stepping into the water my nymphs stopped sharply and after a few seconds I realized it was not a rock!













Awesome fight, awesome fish!

I moved a little lower into the current and kept casting. After a few false alarms, bang, fish on! This was smaller but still a strong, beautiful fish.









Same place, 5 minutes later. My 5 weight mod-fast was bending all the way down to the handle.






This time I saw a pink reflection as the fish was making my reel scream. It was a superb male rainbow:








Back to the spot, still not ready to quit, although my legs were getting numb. Just before deciding it's enough, the third salmon of the day raised my adrenalin level to the top. A few pictures and he returned back to its world. Hopefully a little smarter so it won't take every bug that's passing around.










I left with a big smile on my face and promissing I will be back in a few days. After the salmon is gone, the chub is coming up to spawn and I've seen some nice ones caught there a couple of years ago. Then the bass season it's gonna be on, so you guys may see this spot a few more times in my pictures this year. Darn! WHO invented work?????



No comments: